Monday, March 10, 2014

The Meaning of Success

Today's Fun Fact:  I hate pickles.

It has been an excruciatingly long Monday.  The day started off with my alarm not going off.  I couldn't find any clothes to wear because I still hadn't done laundry.  Then I got a blister on my way to class (Darn you, cute shoes).  I ended up skipping two classes to make up for my missed study time in the morning.  And lastly I went to the exam I had been dreading all weekend and completely failed it.  As in, I think I maybe got a 15%.    

Yet I am feeling quite proud of myself right now.  I was stressed all day about that exam, and now I'm just glad it's over.  I mean, I survived the day.  I had some nice conversations with friends, made some musical progress in my orchestra rehearsal, and got done with the exam before the dining court closed for dinner.  Sure, it may not sound like much, but I'd consider today a success.  

Success is different to everyone.  When asked to define success, I'd say most people would give an answer involving monetary or career achievements.  Sure, these are types of success, and they're somewhat quantifiable.  Being able to afford that new Porsche shows that you have monetary success.  That new promotion illustrates career success.  And these things are important.  But I think that what really matters is what isn't measurable.  

I want to live a successful life.  That's hard to define, but I feel like today has really opened my eyes to the concept.  It wasn't a perfect day by far.  But it also wasn't wasted.  I grew in my relationships, I learned new things, I met someone new.  I moved forward.  And looking back on today, I realized it really was a good day.  This is what I want to feel like every day!  

Now, I'm totally not dissing success in work or school or anything like that.  My idea of success is moving forward every day, which leaves room for growth in nearly all aspects of my life.  This includes my education (and study habits!) and career once I'm out of school.  But once again, those things aren't the only things that matter.  I challenge you to find success in the unexpected places in your life, like I did today when I made a new friend.  It may just be making it through a tough day.  After all, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger!  Today's small victories can lead to great achievements in the future.  

I wrote a post similar to this on Motivation.  Check it out, and share these with someone who may be struggling to find success in their lives.  

Also, "One of Those Days" by Joy Williams perfectly describes my day today, not just the lyrics but the happy tune as well.  So, I thought I'd share this excellent song with you! :)   Click here to watch the video!

Thanks for reading, and I hope you have a fabulous day :)

Shelly

P.S.  I got a twitter!  Follow me here!

2 comments:

  1. My idea of success is not having to wear real clothes during the day. If I can stay in my pajamas, I consider myself a great success!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, that IS a great success! Comfort is important :)

      Delete