Monday, February 3, 2014

Motivation

Today's fun fact:  I have an extremely wide taste in music, ranging from Panic! at the Disco to Nora Jones.  Country, dub step, classic rock, boy bands?  Love it all.  

Motivation: The drive to do something.  It's a funny thing.  I tend to think I lack motivation, but normally I get everything done that is required of me.  Schoolwork, various organization assignments, laundry?  I'm all over it.  Sadly, anything past that is really a challenge.  Instead of practicing violin or trudging onward in Anna Karenina, which I WANT to do, I end up sitting on Youtube or Facebook for hours on end.  I enjoy the mindless internet browsing while it's happening, but afterwords I'm just mad at myself for not being productive or interesting. 


Ironically enough, a Youtube video actually inspired this post.  I was watching "How to Get Out of Bed" (link below) by self-proclaimed lazy person Dan Howell, also known as Danisnotonfire.  This video, along with several other videos of his, really got me thinking about why I get up in the morning and what I plan to do with my day.  I mean, I go to class and eat and chat with my friends and such, but these things really aren't that interesting.  I want to continue to improve my musical abilities, and meet new people, and experience new things!  What do I get up in the morning for?  Class?  Sure.  But life is short, and each day matters.  There is more to life than going to class and studying (I sure hope).


Turns out I just need something to motivate me to start my day.  So, I've decided to make daily goals that make getting out of bed more worthwhile.  Nothing too big or crazy like skydiving or running a marathon (yet!).  More like:

  • Have a conversation with a new person.
  • Contact my German relatives.
  • Find a new piano piece to learn. 
  • Begin learning said piano piece.
  • Read The Fault in Our Stars.  (I'm so behind the times, I know.)
  • Try a new machine at the gym. (I love my stationary bike…)
  • Plan a weekend road trip.
These are small goals that will can make my day to day life more rewarding, and motivate me to seize the day when my alarm goes off.  It's a nice change from the daily grind of gym-class-meetings-study-internets.  

If you have any ideas for some motivational activities, leave me a comment!

And shout out to Dan Howell for being awesome.  Here is the video that inspired this post:

(These will open in a new window if you wanna continue reading!)

And here's a few other interesting videos from him that got me thinking about life.

(Warning: PG-13 for some language)

And with that, I'm gonna turn off my computer for a while and read a few pages of Anna Karenina.  

Hoping your days are filled with excitement,
Shelly


No comments:

Post a Comment